2 garlic cloves
400g tin red kidney beans
400g tin sweetcorn kernals
3 tbsp sunflower or canola oil
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper (we never use more than 1/2 tsp though as I'm not a fan of spicy food)
1 tsp dried thyme
2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
1. Peel and chop the onion. Peel and crush the garlic cloves. Tip the cans of beans and corn kernals into a sieve or colander over the sink and rinse. Shake off the excess water; set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and fry, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft.
3. Reduce the heat a little, stir in the coriander, cumin, cayenne and thyme and stir for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Tip the beans and corn into the tomato sauce mixture and increase the heat to high. Return to a light boil and heat through.
Serve with toast or rice and you have a complete protein meal.